Origin: Suspected to be between South-East Asian and Melanesia
Scientific name: Cocos nucifera
Planet: The Moon
Parts used: Nut
Magical Properties: Purification, psychic awareness, spirituality, protection, chastity
- Hang a whole coconut in your home for protection.
- In place of burying glass, coconut shells make an excellent container for buried protection spells, or other long-lasting charms.
Part Used: Coconut meat
Extraction Method: Solvent extraction or pressing + centrifuge extraction
Flash Point: 295°C
Perfume Use: Base oil
Shelf Life: 2-3 years
Scent Description: Slightly coconutty
Active Constituents: High in lauric acid (40-55%), as well as vitamins A, D, and K.
Skin Types: Dry/damaged
Absorption Rate: Slow
Properties: Emollient, antimicrobial, antioxidant, fighting free radical damage, anti-inflammatory, skin softening and strengthening, supports immunity, anti-ageing.
Plant size: Up to 30m
Bark: Smooth trunk
Leaves: 4-6m long with pinnae 60-90m long
Flowers: Inflorescences with both male and female flowers
Fruit: Round, with a fibrous husk, generally ~1.5kg
Etymology: The name comes from the old Portuguese and Spanish word coco, meaning ‘head’ or ‘skull’ after the three indentations on the coconut shell that resemble facial features.
In the Garden
Light: Bright light
Water: Keep moist
- Coconuts do not like weather that drops below 20°C.
- Add sand or vermiculite to the soil to ensure it is free-draining.
- Coconuts grown in containers will only live for 5-6 years.
- Coconut palms will begin to produce fruit after 6-10 years.
- Coconuts will require regular feeding, with a fertiliser containing basic nutrients as well as boron, manganese, and magnesium.